We have prepared some basic installation instructions for zinc countertops to help you get the perfect look for your new space.
Note: We recommend relying on countertop professionals for templating or measuring, but here are the critical steps.
Step 1 - Draw the shape(s)
- Use the cabinet footprint as a guide or drawings from a design professional.
- Countertops usually overhang the cabinet fronts by 1 inch.
- Cabinets may not always install flush to the wall
- Indicate cutouts for sinks, cooktops, etc
Step 2 - Measure
- Use straight edges to assist when necessary
- Measure where you want the countertop to be, not just where the cabinets are.
- Account for overhangs at cabinet fronts, cutouts and seating areas.
- Indicate where an edge is to be finished and where it can be raw (against a wall).
- Locate the centerlines for any cutouts - left to right AND front to back. Keep in mind it is the front/back of the countertop, not the cabinets
- You may choose to create a template or use a digital room scanner. Keep in mind that it is possible to notch the wall or remove any irregularities to create a tight fit between the countertop and the wall.
Step 3 - Check your work
- When fitting tight between two walls or cabinets, it is critical that the dimensions are accurate.
- Overhangs along the front and ends are common, but do not overhang the cabinets where a range or other appliance will be.
- Imagine, or draw, where the countertop will be and make sure that the overhangs don't interfere with any trim or create any exposed edges that have been overlooked.
While every project is different, here are some common measurements for your reference.